Thursday, April 7, 2011

My Dog Broke Out In Hives

My poor yellow lab broke out in hives last night! URGH I still have goosebumps thinking about it. I don't know exactly how it happened and probably never will, but my husband and I were just sitting in the living room watching Family Guy and Red was laying on his side under the coffee table as usual. I didn't notice anything at first, except that he seemed to be scratching a lot more lately. Here's a picture I drew of what he looked like before the hives. Excuse the elementary art lol. I didn't bother to take a photo of him last night as I was too busy freaking out and frantically searching Google for remedies.

He literally went from this:


To this in about 20 minutes:

So SAD!!!!! I baby my dog so much, so when I saw him in that state, I immediately started panicking and crying. Of course, David was telling me crying wasn't going to fix anything so he called his mom and asked her for advice, which was to give him a couple Benadryll and start a Green Tea bath for him. We had neither so we ended up driving to the shoppette to get the medicine and tea bags as it was already late and everything else was closed.

It was the worst experience ever to have to sit there and watch Red in his pitiful state. All I could do was touch his face and rub the huge welt on his nose and the smaller lumps on his head and cry and get more goosebumps. If there is anything that makes the hair stand on the back of my head, it's hives. And cockroaches.

Anyway, I gave my dog two Benadryll pills which I had stuck in a piece of hot dog and waited about a half hour while I filled the bathtub about halfway with warm water. David seeped a couple tea bags until the water turned completely green. Red was a bit hesitant to get into the bathtub when he saw the green water, but eventually he gave in and I soaked him in there for a good hour, letting him drip dry once he got out. Then we went to bed and when I woke up this morning, the hives were gone but the left side of his face was swollen.

He looked like a hunchback doggy. :( David now calls him Mr. Hives. I ended up giving him another bath and a Benadryll wrapped in a piece of cheese and the swelling went down rapidly by lunchtime. Other than a couple bumps still left on his body, he seems to be doing well, thank God. Still playing and breathing normally, but still itchy and when I brushed him he lost a lot of hair. That was the first time I've ever had to deal with hives, and I hope whatever bug that bit Red (I'm assuming it was a spider in our house or whatever) got sucked up into the vacuum bag and died a horrible death. I paid over $400 for Red, God forbid I lose him to a damn insect!